Search This Blog

Friday, December 24, 2010

It's About Time Brett!



When my third grade science teacher, Mr. Dulude, told me that dinosaurs didn't exist and my grandmother was not living proof that dinosaurs are alive, I wasn't quite convinced. My argument was certainly not baseless. I mean, my grandmother was like a million and three years old at the time. Coincidently, that's pretty close to the age that Brett Favre is today.

I'm more convinced than ever that dinosaurs are indeed still among us. Favre is so old that he still has his wooly mammoth coat that God gave to him on his 131st birthday. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit.

Favre has been a great player and arguably the best quarterback to ever play the game. Throughout his career he amassed numerous records, including the recently-snapped-297-consecutive-games-played record. After doing some basic arithmetic, I found that 297 games is equivalent to 18.5 NFL seasons with 16 games each season. That's insane and definitely not humanlike. If the average career length for a quarterback in the NFL is four years, then Favre's career has been undeniably freakish and his consecutive games played record is proof of that.

Quite honestly, Favre was too old when the number of consecutive games played was at 197. His career should've ended at 197 not because of injury but because of RETIREMENT! Above it all, however, I'm tired of seeing his face on Sundays.

It's time to step down, Brett, and pass the baton to another quarterback. Hell, even Peyton Manning has to live in the shadows of Brett Favre!

He already announced that he won't be returning for the 2011-2012 season, but should we believe him? After all, it's not something we all haven't heard before from Brett. In my opinion, though, Favre is telling the truth this time around. With the sexual harassment scandals and injuries that he's had to deal with this season, I'm willing to place a wager that he would've retired last season if he had any inclinations that this season would turn out as bad as it did.

Whatever his reasoning, I welcome his retirement with open arms. And since Brett has given three other retirement speeches, I'll even excuse him of a fourth one. I'm tired of hearing his retirement speeches. It's like he has a ton of retirement speeches written down and kept in reserve.

So, Brett, it's been a hell of a ride but it's come to a conclusion...sort of like the dinosaurs on earth. Although I was never a big fan of yours, mainly because you always beat up on my Niners regardless of the jersey you were wearing, you provided many football fans with a lot of memories - some good and some bad. On my list of best quarterbacks ever you are just ahead of Dan Marino (and that's only because you have a ring and he doesn't) and just behind Joe Montana and Steve Young. I look forward to seeing you finally retired.

1 comment: